ARLDC Primary Care Virtual Foundations Course
Differential Diagnosis of Breathlessness
A new model set to revolutionise the diagnosis and treatment of airways disease is emerging. This free, foundations course for primary care professionals will include two one-hour sessions for live or on-demand viewing. Hear from a panel of chronic lung disease and breathlessness experts on the symptoms-based, treatable traits approach to diagnosis of lung disease and two rare lung disease case presentations to highlight post-diagnosis management.
Session 1: 6-7pm AEST 11 August 2021
Dr Hayley Lewthwaite will discuss the physiological and psychological mechanisms which drive breathlessness, breaking down some common misperceptions. Different approaches to the assessment of breathlessness will be discussed, as well as the importance of communication with patients to optimise coping and management strategies. Dr Lewthwaite will focus this approach on COPD, asthma and ILDs, although the central tenet of this paradigm is that the physiology of breathlessness applies across many lung, heart and other conditions.
Session 2: 7-8pm AEST 11 August 2021
Dr Jennifer Mann and Dr Laura Glenn will explore two clinical case presentations in the context of the differential diagnosis of breathlessness model.
- Identify the physiological manifestations of breathlessness
- Explain the way physiological manifestations of breathlessness can differ across different types of airways disease.
- Determine appropriate diagnostic investigations to establish the cause of breathlessness.
- Communicate effectively with patients to promote self-efficacy in management of breathlessness and coping strategies.
- Apply differential diagnosis strategies to suspected cases of rare lung disease (TBC – PF/PAH).